Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Happiness is a Baby Chicken (or two!)

Was driving back from a 3 day camping holiday at Wivenhoe Dam when I noticed the Sunday markets were on in a cute little town called Ferndale.

There was a amicable fella with a box cage of white n black chicks & pullets standing near the entrance. Well, not being able to resist baby chooks and already having discussed getting some with my partner, I figured I should take a closer look.

Said chap was selling his chickens unsexed for only $5 each. They were Light Sussex and as much as I wanted Wyndottes or Barnevelders, once I heard their chirps and hung with thenn for a moment, I couldn't resist.

I noticed one tiny chick in particular running from side to side with a lime green caterpillar. How she managed to find & eat that in a cage brimming with other hungry mouths showed great skill & tenacity, so I reached in and grabbed her. Another young chick who had more black feathers than its brethren was also popped in my box.

I was bursting with all the joy of a child being granted a new pet! Peep-peep-peep!

No comments:

Post a Comment